skip to main content
Search: Keyword:
Registration and Enrollment Information
Posted On:
Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Registration and Enrollment Information

KINDERGARTEN AGE REQUIREMENT Children entering kindergarten shall be five (5) years of age on or before August 15th for the 2015-2016 school year and for all school years thereafter.

NEW STUDENTS are required to show (2) different proofs of residency for their zoned school on or before registration day.

It is recommended that schools ask for two (2) different proofs of residency for RETURNING STUDENTS.

Immunizations must be up to date. Students may also receive a Free and Reduced Lunch application in their registration packet. 2015 applications will be available at schools in August.

Parents/Guardians should register students at their ZONED school on with the required documentation.

Acceptable documents in the custodial parent/guardian’s name are:

·     Current electric, water, gas, or cable bills within the last 30-60 days

·     Current lease or mortgage

·     Agency, government or court documentation.

Hamilton County no longer accepts a POWER OF ATTORNEY to register a child for school. 

In accordance with state law, in order to transfer guardianship/custodianship a petition must be filed, approved, and signed by a judge.

Special Circumstances

The required documentation above may be taken to the zoned school. However, students who have the following two situations, need to come to CENTRAL OFFICE:

1.    AFFIDAVIT NEEDED: If a student and his/her custodial parent/guardian are living with another family in the Hamilton County school zone, both families must be present to sign a notarized Affidavit of Housing. Failure to provide accurate information could interrupt your child’s enrollment process. The supporting family member or representative must provide two (2) different proofs of current address to be approved for that zone. Acceptable documents are current electric, water, gas, or cable bills within the last 30-60 days, a current lease or mortgage, and Agency or court documentation. In the case of an Agency, a representative must mail or fax a letter to the Student Services Office verifying the student/parent’s residence. If the family has moved into the Hamilton County school zone from another town or state they must also provide a copy of a Certified Birth Certificate and Social Security Card. Immunization records must be on a Tennessee form (this can be done at the Health Department at no charge or your private physician). After approval, you will take the immunization form to the school who will notify the parent if a physical is needed.

2.    MOVING BETWEEN SCHOOL ZONES: If moving from one school zone to another, during the school year, the custodial parent/guardian must provide termination-exit\transfer-final bill proof  from the previous address and showtwo (2) different proofs of the new address in the custodial parent/guardian’s name (i.e., utilities, DHS, government documents, insurance).

2015/2016 School Year

New and returning students should register at their zoned school on Monday, August 10. Students with the two situations listed above, however, need to come to the Student Services Office on Hickory Valley.

The Student Services Office will be conducting scheduled days for proof of residency (for the above situations only) daily on days and times TBD in the Hamilton County Department of Education Board Room (3074 Hickory Valley Road, Chattanooga, TN  37421). 

To avoid long wait times in August, parents and guardians are encouraged to bring documentation into the Student Services Office between July 1 and July 30, 2015 for the two situations listed above. Summer office hours (May 26th through July 31st) are Monday through Thursday 8:00 to 4:30.

Please be advised that Thursday, August 13th is a scheduled school day and students must attend or they will receive an unexcused absence.


View all Spotlights